Wisdom Tooth Removal
The 3rd set of molars are commonly referred to as your “wisdom teeth.” These teeth typically erupt during a person’s teen or early adult years. However, if lack of space is a concern, it can cause the wisdom teeth to become impacted or only erupt partially.
Both of these conditions can lead to damage to your healthy, neighboring teeth. It can even cause swelling and pain.Removing your wisdom teeth is a therapeutic and preventative step to keeping the rest of your smile healthy.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Perth
Wisdom teeth are the teeth that are mostly impeded to the eruption and remain embedded in the bone instead of coming into the oral cavity. There are many reasons of their impaction in the bone or soft tissues.
Commonly, there is not enough space in the jaw due to smaller than normal jaw size so the wisdom tooth is unable to get erupted in its normal position. The adjacent tooth may also cause the impaction due to creating hindrance in its way to come out of the bone.
Sometimes, wisdom tooth partially erupts but its complete eruption is impeded and it gets trapped in the gum tissue overlying the crown of the tooth. In all the above-mentioned scenarios, impacted wisdom tooth may cause many of the long-term complications to the patient that include;
- Severe pain in the Wisdom tooth area or in the entire jaw
- Food impaction and inflammation of the overlying gum tissue in case of partially erupted wisdom tooth
- Destructive effect on adjacent tooth causing its root resorption and pain
- Facial pain of unknown origin
- Infection of the bone surrounding wisdom tooth resulting in abscess or cyst formation
- Swelling, pain and pus discharge
- Due to these foreseen troubles, it is better to get rid of this tooth in anticipation. Once these wisdom teeth are extracted out of the jaw bone, one can be safe from these risks.
Before surgery, you will be seen by the expert dentist in our office and after explaining the entire procedure in detail, you will be given appointment for the surgery.
On your appointment day, you will be sedated and surgery will be performed. Once the surgery is over, you will remember nothing about the procedure and you will be entirely pain-free during and after the procedure. Medicines will be prescribed for a week or less in order to avoid any post-operative swelling, pain, discomfort or infection. One of your family member or caretakers may get you to the home once you recover from the sedation.
You may be asked to come back at our office for a general review in two weeks after surgery as to remove stitches/sutures in case they don’t get dissolved as their own.
Following are some of the instructions you have to follow after wisdom tooth extraction;
- Take the painkillers regularly as per advised by the dentist at our office.
- Use Mouthwash regularly for 2 to 3 weeks till the wound is healed completely.
- Avoid spitting for 24 hours after surgery as to avoid recurring bleeding.
- Use Cold drinks, ice cream and avoid taking hot drinks just after the tooth extraction to get better bleeding control.
- Avoid smoking for 24 to 48 hours after surgery to get better and quick healing results
For almost 14 days after wisdom tooth removal, you may feel a little discomfort but if you follow our instructions strictly, you will have to experience minimal discomfort. Usually, our patients get back to work after 3 to 5 days of surgery.
How Laser treatment helps and aids in quick healing?
Wisdom teeth removal has become all the more safe and successful through laser equipment like Fotona Lightwalker.
Following are the benefits of laser assisted wisdom teeth removal:
- Less traumatic – The wisdom teeth are removed in such a way through lasers that there is very little damage to the adjoining bone.
- Faster healing – Less bone and tissue damage promotes faster healing.
- Minimal pain and swelling – There is almost no pain or swelling after wisdom teeth extraction through lasers. This is because the lasers kill the bacteria at the surgical site. The wound gets sterilized and there is no chance for infection.
- Stimulate the tissue growth – The best benefit of lasers is that they stimulate the bone and gums to grow back in its healthy form and function.
Lasers assisted wisdom teeth extraction is one of the most advanced treatment options for various dental procedures like wisdom teeth extraction. It is growing in popularity because of the comfort it offers. It’s time to clear our minds from any tell-tale myths about lasers and believe in the success score it promises!
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Cost
Wisdom tooth removal cost depends upon the degree of its difficulty.
Normally, it begins from $400 to onward.
Contact Smilemakers for your wisdom teeth removal
Smilemakers knows wisdom teeth removal best, and we offer you care that’s affordable while minimising your discomfort. Your wisdom teeth might be to blame if you’re suffering from:
- Bleeding gums around the back of your mouth
- Jaw pain
- Sore throats
*Depends on your individual health fund level of cover are.